Hold on to your seats for this week’s episode of The Money Guy Show! We’re talking 2018 tax changes and planning opportunities, and it has us over-the-moon excited. As many of you know, Brian is a CPA and prepared client taxes for 16 years. Therefore, we’re sure you can imagine just how joyful he is to geek-out over this important topic we cover in this episode of the Money Guy Show.
2018 is the first year we are experiencing the effects of the biggest tax reform our country has seen in over 30 years. With change comes a lot of uncertainty as well as new planning opportunities. Be sure to tune in as we discuss all the logistical changes of filing your 2018 tax return and the tax planning opportunities to be aware of so that you take advantage of the new laws that can put more money in your pocket.
We cover a lot of ground in this show, so you may want to have your pen and notepad handy so you can jot down your notes and anything you may want to address with your tax preparer this season. Ok, let’s jump into the episode.
Here is what you will find out:
- What is new with 2018 tax forms? We provide an overview of the new forms and go over what each form is for and which ones are new and which ones have remained the same.
- Review of the new Schedules 1 through 6 (versus Schedules A, C, D, E, F, H, SE, 8812)
- What has materially changed with the new schedules?
- What you need to know about Schedule A and itemized deductions in 2018 (vs. Standard Deduction)
- Reminder of the big changes of SALT cap and miscellaneous itemized deductions disappearing
areas to focus on in 2018 tax return and beyond
- Retirement savings
- HSAs (Health Savings Accounts)
- QCDs (Qualified Charitable Distributions)
- Child tax credits
- Qualified Business Income deduction of up to 20%
- The growing opportunity for small businesses
- Avoiding underpayment penalties
Resources & Related Money Guy Episodes
- Let’s Talk About Your Taxes and How to Plan for the Future
- Health Savings Account Benefits: Triple Tax Advantage
- How to Be a Tax-Free Millionaire
- The GOP Tax Plan: What Does it Mean for Your Tax Bill?
- Can I Hire My Kids and Are There Any Tax or Investing Advantages?
- Tax Efficiency: Index Funds vs Actively Managed Funds
Enjoy the Show?
- Make sure you subscribe, so you get updates, announcements, and exclusive post-show deliverables!
- Leave us a review on iTunes
- Send us your questions or share your story!
- You can also use #AskTheMoneyGuy on social media!
- Get your FREE copy of The 30-Minute(ish) Financial Plan
Tune In and Go Beyond Common Sense with the Money Guys
This show would not be what it is today without the support of our wonderful listeners. We strive to continue making the show better, and your feedback is an important part of that process.
If you have any questions/suggestions/comments/concerns (or just want to say hi!), feel free to reach out to us: [email protected] and [email protected]. You can also join the conversation on Facebook or connect on Twitter @MoneyGuyPodcast.
If you enjoyed this episode, be sure to join our community! You’ll never miss special announcements and offers, plus you’ll get future podcasts and blog posts delivered straight to your inbox so you can get in on the action right away.