We have done a lot of shows on how much you should be saving, and plenty of people wonder how we come up with the rates of return we mention. We actually think these are great questions, so in this episode of The Money Guy Show, we get into historical averages and how we arrive at the rates of return we discuss in this episode and others.
Investing is a powerful tool that can help you put your army of dollar bills to work and build wealth. How much wealth? Well, join us as we take a look at the data.
Yes, you can make money investing. And, no, it’s not gambling! Tune in today as we share all the tools you need to maximize your money in the investment universe! We have the numbers that will prove you can make money investing, the experience to teach you how it all works, and how to use the most popular investment tools to your advantage!
Here is what you will learn in today’s episode:
- Historical asset class performance over the last 10 years and long term
- How to understand the impact behavior has on investor performance, as shown by Dalbar
- What historically happens when investors try to outperform the indices
- Over the last 20 years, how the average investor performed relative to the S&P 500 and what it reveals
- All the reasons why the average investor underforms indices
- The biggest mistakes people make when it comes to investing (even though they “know” better)
- Why people tend to be skeptical and cautious about investing, but what the data reveals is actually the natural state of the economy
- Why downturns and market volatility are beneficial to young investors
- What the absolute worst thing you can do with your investments during a market downturn
- What Dollar Cost Averaging is and how it works
- Why investing isn’t random, but follows a cyclical pattern and what investors can do to capitalize on that
- Which financial habits you should focus on more rather than chasing returns
- When target date retirement funds are most useful and how to know when you have possibly outgrown them
- How to overcome analysis paralysis when it comes to investing and just do it
Resources and Research Cited in this Episode
- The Average Investor Blown Away by Market Turmoil in 2018 (Dalbar)
- Why the Average Investor Earns Below Average Market Returns (The Balance)
Related Money Guy Shows
- Ways to Overcome Investment Analysis Paralysis
- Should You Pay Off Debt Before Investing?
- Top Investing Lessons from Warren Buffett’s Letter to Shareholders 2018
- How to Invest a Windfall of Cash: Dollar Cost Averaging vs Lump Sum
Enjoy the Show?
- Make sure you subscribe so you get updates, announcements, and exclusive post-show deliverables!
- Leave us a review on iTunes
- Send us your questions or share your story!
- You can also use #AskTheMoneyGuy on social media!
- ?Get your FREE copy of The 30-Minute(ish) Financial Plan
Tune In and Go Beyond Common Sense with the Money Guys
This show would not be what it is today without the support of our wonderful listeners. We strive to continue making the show better and your feedback is an important part of that process.
If you have any questions/suggestions/comments/concerns (or just want to say hi!), feel free to reach out to us: [email protected] and [email protected]. You can also join the conversation on The Money Guy Show Facebook page or connect on Twitter @MoneyGuyPodcast.
If you enjoyed this episode, be sure to join our community! You’ll never miss special announcements and offers, plus you’ll get future podcasts and blog posts delivered straight to your inbox so you can get in on the action right away.