Celebrities are like canaries in a coal mine. Their financial disasters and opportunities are amplified and played out in the public eye, but the underlying principles that lead to their success or failure should be heeded by every individual, no matter the size of his or her fortune.
In this episode of The Money Guy Show, we unpack the successes and failures of celebrities like Lebron James, Melissa McCarthy, Billy Joel, and more. Let’s look at what they got right, where they went wrong, and how you can implement these lessons to make the most of your own finances.
Read The Money Guy blog, Why Do Celebrities Go Broke?
Resources and research from this episode:
- How Lebron Built a Net Worth of $450 Million (Forbes)
- The Drive (and Despair) of The Rock: Dwayne Johnson on His Depression, Decision to Fire Agents and Paul Walker’s Death (Hollywood Reporter)
- Why Jay Leno Never Touched a Dime of His ‘Tonight Show’ Money (CNBC)
- Jeremy Renner lived without water or electricity before he hit it big (Business Insider)
- Why an NFL player who earns millions still drives a 26-year-old car he bought for $2 (CNBC)
- Celebrity Money Mistakes We Can All Learn From (Reader’s Digest)
- How I Became the Fresh Prince
Enjoy the Show?
- Subscribe so you get new episodes and show notes sent right to your inbox.
- Leave us a review on iTunes.
- Send us your questions or share your story.
- Use #AskTheMoneyGuy for your questions on social media.
- Get your FREE copy of The 30-Minute(ish) Financial Plan.
If you have any questions (or just want to say hi!), feel free to reach out to us: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also join the conversation on The Money Guy Show Facebook page or connect on Twitter @MoneyGuyPodcast.