The American life is different than it used to be. With advances in technology, a more globalized and digital world, and a pandemic in 2020 that created a seismic shift in what is now considered “normal”, it makes sense to revisit whether or not The American Dream still exists, and, if it doesn’t, what happened to it? How can Americans find success today?
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- What “The American Dream” is and why it means something to some people
- The 3 proven markers of financial security in the United States
- How “The American Dream” has changed
- 5 things that are destroying “The American Dream”
Research and resources from this episode:
- 5 Levels of Wealth AND How to Achieve Each (The Money Guy Show)
- The Three Norms Analysis: Technical Background
- 2021 Poverty Projections (Urban Institute)
- AVERAGE NUMBER OF JOBS IN A LIFETIME : ALL STATISTICS (Zippia)
- Facts & Data on Small Business and Entrepreneurship (SBE Council)
- Private Pension Plan Bulletin Historical Tables and Graphs 1975-2018 (Department of Labor)
- Upwork Study Finds 22% of American Workforce Will Be Remote by 2025 (Business Wire)
- Median Marriage 1890 to Present (United States Census Bureau)
- Barely Half of U.S. Adults Are Married – A Record Low (Pew Research Center)
- The U.S. Divorce Rate Has Hit a 50-Year Low (IFS)
- Does Marriage Bring Financial Benefits? (Charles Schwab)
- How Much Will My Divorce Cost and How Long Will It Take? (NOLO)
- Average age of first-time homeowners remains high (The Daily Universe)
- Young Homebuyers Are Vanishing From the U.S. (Bloomberg)
- Homeownership Rate in the United States (FRED)
- Biden’s $15K first-time homebuyer tax credit now a bill (Housing Wire)
- Average Age at First Birth, 1970 & 2017 (BGSU)
- Trends in College Pricing Resource Library (College Board)
- How Does Social Media Play a Role in Depression? (Very Well Mind)
- The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. Stanley
- Many millennials are worse off than their parents — a first in American history (CNN)
Enjoy the Show?
- Sign up for the Financial Order of Operation (FOO) Online Course!
- Get FREE downloads full of financial advice from our Resource Page!
- Subscribe on YouTube or wherever you listen to podcasts.
- Send us your questions or share your story.